Two years ago when i started at The Pen Shop i made the fatal error of telling our Corporate Manager i couldn’t write with a Fountain Pen because i was left-handed. I tried to explain that when i used one i just smudged ink everywhere and made a mess. With over 20 years experience at The Pen Shop our corporate manager told me that if i was smudging i wasn’t writing properly. At our next lunch break i was then taught how to write correctly with a standard medium nib Fountain Pen. Since then i have amassed quite a collection of pens and ink bottles and now enjoy writing daily with my beloved Fountain Pens – without making a mess!
Tips from The Pen Shop for left-handed writers
- Place your paper to the left of your body so you can see what you are writing.
- Tilt the paper so that your arm is at a right-angle to the bottom edge of the paper.
- Write with your hand below the writing line and with your wrist straight.
- Use your right hand if needed to steady your paper so it is less likely to move or slide while writing.
- Try to pull your pen across the paper rather than pushing it so you don’t scratch your nib or ballpoint.
- The main thing is too hold your pen between the thumb, index and middle fingers. This may take a bit of practice and be uncomfortable at first but is well worth it in the end.
- Some people are helped by writing on a sloping surface as they cannot then rest on the paper and smudge the ink.
- A left-handed nib on a Fountain Pen can make a big difference for some left-handers. Please call our sales team to see which brands do left-handed nibs or pop into one of our stores to try writing with one.
If anyone has any further tips please let us know in the comments section.
Written by Hannah Storey (proud leftie)
We are giving children of school age the chance to win a range of prizes as part of a Back To School crossword competition. For the chance to enter the draw to win one of three Back to School goody bags simply complete the crossword below. 10 runners up will also receive a Dex pen with cartridges.
Please follow the below link to a PDF file of this if you would prefer to print one out and send it in.
Dex Crossword Competition
To enter either hand your entry in to the nearest branch of The Pen Shop, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or post it to Dex BTS Competition, The Pen Shop Ltd., 5 Bamburgh Court, First Avenue, Team Valley, NE11 0TX.
Competition closes 2nd September 2014. Entries handed in to stores after this date will not be considered. Postal entries received after 4th September 2014 will not be considered. A prize draw of all correct entries will take place on 8th September 2014 and winners will be notified within 7 working days. Answers and winners will be posted on The Pen Shop blog after the draw.
New to The Pen Shop are Secrid Wallets whose products protect credit card information from being read by wireless card readers.
Secrid Wallets design and manufacture in the Netherlands where they have developed their production process themselves in close collaboration with their manufacturers. Secrid work with specialist manufacturers such as a modern leather studio housed in a historic warehouse in the heart of Schiedam. In the production process, original materials are combined with modern technologies, ensuring good working conditions and high quality products. For this reason, Secrid Wallets offer a two-year guarantee.
Since 1990 Secrid owners René van Geer (Technical University [TU] Delft) and Marianne van Sasse van IJsselt (Charles Montaigne Fashion Academy) have been active in the field of design. In 2008 they chose to follow their big dream: a house brand and product line, developed from their own vision. Secrid put all their knowledge and experience to work to design the ultimate card holder. In 2009, they launched the Secrid Cardprotector on the market, and this won the Red Dot Design Award in 2010. In 2010, they started marketing their own line of leather wallets. In 2012 Secrid won the Aluminium Award with the Cardprotector.
The Cardprotector is the core of the Secrid product line. The aluminium Cardprotector protects your six most important cards, both against bending and breaking and against your RFID cards being scanned if you don’t want them to be (such as the transportation pass, ID card, the latest credit cards and business cards).
View our selection of Secrid Wallets >